Tuesday, December 4, 2018

December 4th, 2018. Focus: Concept Art & World Building


So I started by finishing the edits and added music. Currently I'm waiting for the program to format the file into an mp4 file. That will probably take a few hours. So onto the research aspect now that I have the design down.

Firstly I think I'll start with the ships functions. In the world I'm making there is magic. However, people can't use more than one specialized type of magic without a device called a catalyst. Catalysts allow the use of up to six forms of magic per device. The more specialized a catalyst is though the more powerful. Though a catalysts power also depends on how high of a capacity for magic the Magic Technician, or Magician, using it has. Airships, unlike planes in real life which have a fuel engine, are instead giant catalysts. These catalysts specialize in force and air magic. Using the sub category of force, weight to manipulate the weight of the ship and cargo. Accompanied by using air magic to manipulate air currents and speed. To activate and continue using magic the catalyst must be constantly absorbing magic energy. So as well as having multiple magicians using the catalysts in shifts, I wanted to add magic batteries. These devices would store magical energy and could be activated to automatically keep a catalyst active. This could be used on it's own or along side a Magician. That's how the ships would work.

Security for the ships was the simplest to figure out. It would be effectively the same as real life with additional rules for stuff that doesn't exist in real life. People would have their magic specialty and capacity on their passport. Catalysts would have to be in the governments official registry and the owner would have to have permits for their catalysts.

The general use of space on the ship was easy as well. The lower back of the ship would have the catalyst functions and magic batteries. The bottom middle and most of the front would be storage areas. With a small area for a bird view of the planet in the bottom front as well. The top of the ship would consist of viewing decks, eating areas, social areas, and either solo or 2 person living compartments. Ship staff and guests would have separate areas.

The next part was getting the actual size of the ship. I looked up airplanes online and found too much information. There are a ton of different types and variations of planes. So I googled the average size of a football field (450 ft), and converted it to meters (137m). That gets me the ships length about. To get the width including wing span I multiplied the length by 3.5, I chose this because birds in real life have something similar to this in wing to body ratios. That got me 479m in width, to get the body width alone

I estimated that the ship would be about the length of a foot ball field, which, according to the internet is 137.2m. So to get the other dimensions of the ship....

For width...

-The total would be 137.2 x 2.6 = 356.7 (I figured that the ship would be 2.6 times the length)
-The body would be around .6 of the total so... 137.2 x 2 = 274.4    ,    356.7 - 274.4 = 82.3

For height I want it to be about 3/4ths of the width...

82.3 / 4 =20.6    ,    20.6 x 3 = 61.8

The video finally finished formatting, now I'm just waiting for it to finish uploading to YouTube. I'm out of time for today so I'll do the ships capacity for people tomorrow. As well as post the speedpaint once it's finished uploading.


No comments:

Post a Comment