Monday, December 3, 2018

December 3rd, 2018. Focus: Concept Art & World Building

So as I said in my final post I'll be focusing on concept art and world building for this month. I'll be working with a specific world in my focus of world building and concept art. The world being for a story some friends and I are working on.

In the story currently I need to figure out how air ships will work in universe. when we first created the base of the world we made a list of the magic usable. I haven't completely flushed out how it works so I'll do that some other time. Here is the list though...

Magic:
Physical: Principal:
-material manipulation -cycle
-alchemy -animancy(life)
-construction -necromancy(death)
-destruction -time
-corrosion -chaos
-elemental -order
-air -luck
-smoke -mind
-vacuum -moral manipulation
-earth -dream
-crystal -emotion
-dust -information
-glass -memory
-lava -sensory manipulation
-metal -sleep
-mineral -space
-mud -dimension
-sand -gate
-wood -void
-plant -sense
-electricity -illusion
-light -precognition
-color -dowsing
-laser -soul sight
-shadow -Magnetism
-vibration -temperature
-sound -inscription
-water -enchantment
-bubble -enhancement
-ice -technomagic
-snow -force
-vapor -weight
-weather -motion
-fire -inertia
-heat -purification
-explosion -quantum
-plasma -contract
-solar
-environmental
-paper
I'll explain the magic system more at a later date, right now I'm working on air ships. I'll start with the design.

I did a rough sketch in my notebook and I drew a better sketch in my sketch book. I'm going to try and do an illustration in CSP now.
Normally I draw in a very line reliant comic style. Illustrations in concept art are in a more classically artistic style. Trying to draw in a completely different style was difficult. I did it though, took me 5 hours to draw.
I recorded all 5 hours so I'll speed up the recording and use that to show everything in depth. I'll post that in tomorrows blog since I
haven't finished editing it yet.

I started off by tracing the pencil sketch on my computer. Then I used the colorize function to do a gradient for the sky. I then did the clouds, after I did a fine line work for the ship. I colored in the ship and did shading and highlights. I used the colorize function again to adjust the colors. Deleting the previous colorized layer, replacing it with a gradient layer. It took me a while to get the colors and textures on the ship right.
Editing the speedpaint video was a pain on it's own. I had to find a good editing program firstly, it took a bit of browsing but I found a program called VideoPad. It had good reviews so I downloaded it from the Microsoft Store. It's a good program, it works well and has a bunch of useful functions. Mostly, I just imported the video files and merged them together, then sped it up by 650%. I plan to use it's sound editing functions to add some music to the video later as well.


I spent 5 hours drawing it and 2 doing the edits so I'll finish the rest tomorrow. The rest being: -finishing editing
-research into planes
-uploading the speedpaint
-ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment