Friday, December 7, 2018

December 7th, 2018. Focus: Concept Art & World Building

Alrighty, continuing where I left off, we have mid tiers.

Mid tiers are levels 6-16. I gave the most amount of levels to the mid tiers because I wanted mid tiers to have the most variation in magic potential. With any level over 6 being able to use their specialty proficiency. As well as level 6s being able to weakly use any type of magic with a catalyst. Level 16s would be able to use any type of magic with a catalyst and be proficient with magic types suited to them.

Levels 17 through 23, high tiers, would be proficient with all types of magic with a catalyst and have mastery of their specialty.

The last 3 levels would be impossible for a humanoid creature to be categorized in. Creatures at this level would be able to use most if not all types of magic without a catalyst. I created these levels because in the story world, mythical creatures such as elementals, chimeras, and wraiths exist, to name a few. I'll go through the different types of creatures in the world in a later post.

In the lower and higher tiers I gave less levels because there would be less variation in those levels of magic capacity. where as I gave more levels in the mid tiers for more variants in capacity.

I left a lot of things about the system open for my own freedom. Such as what qualifies as proficient and the complete details of each specific level. I didn't think this was necessary to outline, because A: It will never be mentioned in the story, and B: It's always good to leave yourself some freedom when writing a story. The purpose of doing world building is to keep from falling into plotholes when writing. Not to limit yourself in what you can write.

I have yet to mention the research I did into magic systems before designing mine. I have watched and read about a lot of other magic systems over the years from reading and watching fantasy. I learned a lot from just paying attention to other works. I also watched videos about it online, while I won't go through everything in the videos, I'll embed them here...







That's all I have for today, in the next post I'll go into either catalysts or the types of creatures in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment